PART 2 – Hopping in CDO (November 17, 2008)

My adventure in CDO consisted mainly of bouncing from one place to another. Its strategic location makes it an ideal jump-off for people like me to travel to Iligan, Camiguin, Bukidnon and other provinces. 


After the two hour bus ride from Baligoan port and chatting with a newfound friend – a bus conductress (?) named Amy, I boarded a jeep to Limketkai Mall to buy ferry tickets bound for Cebu the following evening. There was a Western Union branch right before the entrance of Limketkai Mall, that sold airline and ferry tickets (saw Cebu Ferries and Superferry). I had an early dinner. This time, I chose something familiar to the palette because I was feeling a bit lonely - Chowking! 


I stayed for the night at a highly recommended hostel called Mass Specc, which for some reason reminds me of hostels in horror movies where you get tortured. Don't get me wrong, it's not the place, it's just me! It's really clean, the sheets smell good and the rates are amazing! I just watched too many horror movies. 
As I used CDO as a jump-off to other destinations, I wasn't able to see much. I just got the feel of the place, similar to most parts of the Philippines,  people here are very  warm and friendly. In fact, CDO is dubbed as the City of Golden Friendship (it's not just any regular friendship, it's GOLDEN FRIENDSHIP!). I can sense a return trip someday. 


That night, I tucked into bed early but I didn't fall asleep easily because  I couldn't get over the fact that I was sharing a room with two other strangers - both women. I am too private and too paranoid to share space. Maybe I can give this another shot someday but I must be with another friend. 


Sorry I couldn't tell you much about CDO. 





This post is part of my 8-day birthday backpacking trip from Mindanao to Luzon. Click on Part 3 to read about my trip to Bukidnon. 
TRAVEL INFO : 
Mass Specc Hostel
Rates as of November 2008 – 250 pesos/person; Dorm type, airconditioned room (all their rooms has airconditioning; good for four people with private toilet and bath; With free breakfast (free breakfast was actually good). You can also book a private room which costs 700 a night, if I remember accurately but since I wanted to save money, I opted for a dorm type. Unfortunately, there were already two other strangers I had to share with. Damn, I was told the dorms were usually empty.
Address : Tiano-Yacapin Streets, Cagayan De Oro City (near Divisoria)
Phone: (8822) 72-8145 (actually, you don’t need to book in advance as there are tons of other hostels in the area. You just need to ask around.

How to Get There from Limketkai Mall : There are jeeps passing in front of Limketkai and you just hop on one the jeep which goes to Divisoria. The jeep won’t pass directly infront of Mass Specc so you’ll have to ask the driver to drop you off to the nearest street where you can walk or ride a motorela which can take you to Mass Specc.

Please check this site for more hostels in CDO.



Past adventures

Show more